Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Dave vs the Meats at Fogo de Chao: Dave Wins.

I'll spill a lil secret:  I was at Fogo de Chao last weekend.   The thing was: I had money to spend given to me at Christmas-time and to this moment I hadn't spent it.   I originally tried to go a week earlier but it was a DISASTER.  Even with a reservation the wait was over an hour for a table and Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian Steakhouse with all-you-can-eat menu, was packed.  I had no chance.   I drove by, saw how busy it was, and kept on going that particular Friday.  I decided to just try the Bludso's WeHo outpost and went in about 9pm and they were out of meats... all they had left was a lump of pulled pork.  Unbelievable!

That day did not go so well.. .I settled for Wendy's.   One week later, it was a far better experience.   The tables were many and the servers attentive.  I made the reservation and my table was ready 5 minutes early.  In my reservation form it had a little section called "Special Requests."  Oooooooooooh I love the special requests!   I always like to put in silly things to see how the restaurant responds.  So for "special requests" I wrote "cookies, if you have any."

The meal goes very well.   I was smart this time and didn't load up on the salad bar.   Just a little pile of kale and a tablespoon of scalloped potatoes.  The little sides of plantains, cornmeal sticks, and cheese balls were added to the table, and then it was chow time!   They start you off with the cheap meats... sausage and chicken, but we all knew the good stuff was another layer away.   More and more racks of meat kept coming in waves.  We worked our way up to the sirloin, then the Picanha, the ribeye, and the tour de force, the bacon wrapped filet mignon,  My goodness it was all so good.   Then we went after it again with some of the cuts.  Everyone was tremendous and responsive and the water was quickly filled.

Once it was all said and done, I got the bill and I was ready to go, but the server came over and said "unfortunately we couldn't get you cookies, but all of us got a real laugh out of the request.  We DO have some chocolate lava cake for you, on the house, I hope you don't mind!"

Do the dance!   I certainly had no issue with this compromise!  Graciously I accepted -- what a treat!   A couple folks came over  and so did the choco lava cake with a side of ice cream.   I told everyone "man this is so good!  Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed that little humor."  The hostess ladies said to me as I left "we really got a kick out of your cookies request!"

That was a pretty cool moment.  Thanks for taking in a minor indulgence on this blog space, no pun intended.

Big meals like this have happened from time to time, and many of them are with people I care about, loved ones and friends.  This particular one occurred on my own.   It was a somewhat rough week at work, and a night like that hit the spot.  Thanks to the fine people at Fogo de Chao Beverly Hills!

No comments: