Friday, August 31, 2012

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: August 31st

Short series of thoughts for the day.  After all, it's a near half-day at work.   Happy Early Labor Day!

Labor Day weekend used to be one to dread.  Remember when you were young and Labor Day would signal the start of the school year?  Today, it's just a nice three day weekend.   Adults FTW.

I've got a few LOCKS of the Week for College this year.  I've abandoned attempting to do LOCKS for the NFL.   NFL point spreads and their resultant wagers are COMPLETELY arbitrary.   It's absolutely worthless to bet on an NFL game.  You might as well pick a number on the roulette wheel and get better odds.   With so much parity in the game today, week-to-week, it's impossible to reliably pick ANY team to win by any number of points.  Most games are decided between 3-14 points from what I've seen.   In Week 1 of the NFL last year, only six games out of 16 were decided by more than 14 points. In Week 2 last year only four games out of 16 had a margin of victory larger than 14 points.  You can even pick the teams pretty well striaght up, but miss the point spread by a point or two.  It's no secret that I've been flat out awful at "LOCKS" of the week in the NFL.  You can even read through past posts on here to see for yourself.

I'm listening to a Genesis album as we speak.  "Duke," specifically.   I've never heard it in full before, and this is *tremendous*.  I didn't realize "Misunderstanding" was on there.   Great listen so far.

Wow, Amanda Beard has an eating disorder too?   That opened my eyes... I feel bad for swimmers with that big a public spotlight.  Tons and tons of scruitny especially with swimming where pretty much every part of your body is exposed to the world.

Speaking of swimming, I felt great out there in sprints for what was a brutal "Fast Friday" workout.  We did a series of 50 meter sprints.   Push going one way, dive coming back.   On Long Course Meters, I managed around a minute each time in most sprints.  Some were from a push.  Others from a dive.  In particular, the dive was golden today.  I felt like a knife through butter!  Most of those I finished around 1:00, 1:02, and in one case 59 seconds.  I bet I did a couple others under a minute.  Major improvement from a year ago.  Experience swimmers will denote those as pretty slow times but I'm still a novice.  I'm happy with the effort.

Speaking of "effort," the Dodger lineup HAS NONE.   Season OVAH.   Serves them right.  4.5 games back with a month to go and the Giants playing an easy schedule makes it damn near impossible.   Not to mention -- no heart at all with this lineup.   Where is the urgency?  The Pitching works its butt off and they deserve better.

That's all for now.  LOCKS coming up next!

No comments: