Sunday, December 21, 2014

Dave's Christmas Thoughts of the Day: December 21st

Ho ho ho Merrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Christmas!

Last blog entry before the big holiday season.   Well!  I have a question for you.   When you shower, do you take the bar of soap and scrub your feet?  I bet almost nobody does... isn't that funny?  How do they get clean?   Somehow I've gone on this way and not worried about it.   I do rub a dub the tops of the feet sometimes, but never the bottom.  It's funny this only occurred to me this year.

All done with the present shopping except for a couple things.  I have a gift to purchase for one of my grandmothers and an additional item to add for my father.  Aside from that, it's all in the books.   I did almost all the shopping online this year.  Saved me a ton of trouble and I really haven't fought through any lines.   For me it's the way to go!

Ever try the "Beef Bowl" cut at Lawry's?   I'm dying to give it a spin sometime soon, and perhaps my moment is at hand.  I've developed a sort of tradition at Lawry's.  Every year during the winter or Fall, I make one trip to Lawry's for a meal.  Unfortunately, most of my friends don't care for prime rib, so to date I have made every trip to Lawry's myself.  It's too bad too because it's a great experience.  Anyway, the "Beef Bowl" cut is an enormous, monstrous, simply ridiculous cut of standing rib roast that usually is served to participating players in the Rose Bowl game.  However, it's available to order as a civilian if you can pay the price.  I haven't up to now but maybe that time is changing.   I get a nice little cash bonus from the departments (not in the thousands or anything, but enough for a good steakhouse meal) before the Winter Break.  It's truly a nice gesture by all.   I can use it this year to furnish this beef bowl prime rib meal.   Here's a look at it:






I got a version of the picture with a guy seated next to it so you get an idea just how bit it is... the beef is six inches thick!   Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you be able to eat the whole thing?  I'd love to try and find out.

On Saturday I kicked off the college bowl season with a trip to Tony P's for breakfast.   I think I blew everybody away coming in so early... it wasn't even 10am yet.   Everyone was friendly, nonetheless.  I ordered the pancakes and bacon... that was some of the best pancakes I've had in my life!  Eating that while watching Nevada and Louisiana-Laffayette punt the ball around was a good time, the game wasn't good at all, but the food was exemplary.   I ordered coffee with it and had about a dozen refills.  No wonder I was up past 1 that night.

The little things make me smile.   I never knew Mitch Hedberg did promos for the Atlanta Thrashers long long ago.  That made me smile.   I know it doesn't sound like much, but he did a good job with them.

I know what Mentos are, but it was funny to think about it going through the years.  It was candy, so I thought, but what particular candy was it?  It was last year when I learned Mentos are mints.   They can be chewed too so that they go down more easily.

A big atta boy to the Pittsburgh Steelers for making the playoffs!   First trip to the 'offs in three years!   Feels like it's been quite a long time, but nice to see the 'offs again.  I hope this time they don't get embarrassed at the end as they did against Tim Tebow back then.   The Steelers' defense really isn't any good, but they can have good games when they cheat with an aggressive blitzing pass rush.  Horizontal offenses like the Chiefs are such a good matchup for the Steel City and it played out Sunday afternoon.   A NICE win for the Steelers., setting up Sunday night vs the Bengals with a chance to clinch the AFC North Division.  Looking forward to it!

Hard to believe the Steelers made the playoffs after looking so dead, so lost, so beaten in the first month of the year.  Kudos to Mike Tomlin for getting his boys to believe.  That's a good offense too... it's been fun to watch although frustrating too because they often were playing down to bad teams and losing because of it.

Christmas is a great time of the year.  It's one very few moments of the year where most of society comes to a pause so we can all be together, with our families and some friends, to recognize the birth of Christ, and celebrate our own livelihood.   Many of us, the non-religious ones, emphasize the personal and family reunion aspects of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  However, I always recognize the religious undertones of this time of year.

I also like cookies!   I associate cookies with Christmas, inexplicable as it may be.   Santa eats cookies.  Families bake cookies.  I eat cookies.  It all comes together.

I am so thankful to be healthy again after the absolute worst flu of the year 7 days ago.  It was so bad that I couldn't move.  It basically killed my weekend.  I felt terrible... and I wasnt all there for three days straight.   The next four days were recovery.  I haven't gone to swim the whole time, even up to now.  However, I now am back to full health, and today, on a Sunday evening, I feel so very grateful.  Thanks so much for good health!  I hope to retain my well being through the rest of the month.

I am thankful to once again make it through another year alive, with a roof over my head, and good family to turn to.  I'm thankful for friendly faces and dependable people.  I'm thankful for continued employment and a good hobby with the DITCOW podcast.   It is great to be a functional part of society.  I hope for more good things in 2015.

And to all of you who read this blog.  My thanks to you for reading, and I hope you've enjoyed it.  Go out there and have a great holiday season!   Take care and see you again soon.  Merrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Christmas!


No comments: