Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: June 13th

Thanks for understanding everyone... I couldn't do a blog entry yesterday in light of the late start and my ongoing eye infection... I think it's an eye infection.  I can't figure out what's going on.

It does seem to be improving, steadily.  I told a friend of mine about it and he told me to use "warm compression to my eye lids."  I wasn't exactly sure what that was, but I applied a warm wet towel to each eye and I felt some notable improvement.

My buddy knows what he's talking about!

I also didn't do a podcast yesterday, but I had it planned that way all along.  Despite my ongoing eye scenario, I still was good enough to work today and I even got to attend the end of year dinner at Napa Valley Grille in Westwood.

Let me tell you, Napa Valley Grille is first class, all the way.  It's probably too much money for what you get, but the food is pretty good.   I ordered the salmon on the recommendation of yelp.  IT WAS AMAZING.

The salmon was grilled over a wood fired grill, and it had this crust on it that just made my day.  What a great piece of fish.  It was sumptuous and satisfying.  With it, I ordered this "potato puree".  Don't panic folks, that's just a fancy term for "Mashed Potatoes."

Fancy restaurants always dress up the vocabulary of basic foods like that.  For instance, they can't be associated with greasy/sweaty pizza shops so their pizzas are called "flat breads."  Ooh, so fancy!   It must be exquisite... nah, it's just pizza.  Hee hee...

But yes, do try the salmon at Napa Valley Grille.  It's great!

I think as you get older, into your thirties, fish becomes more and more appealing.  When you're a kid, all you want is chicken nuggets and pizza.

Ok I still want chicken nuggets and pizza, but things like fish become a much bigger deal.  The best fish at a restaurant is just fantastic.   I've had some of the best of the best...  Usually when it comes to choosing a fish type I go salmon, halibut, and swordfish.  Those are the most "steak like" fish filets you can come up with.

You know what?  One of my colleagues at the table, across from me, had what looked like a porterhouse steak, or at least a filet mignon, divided into small pieces.  It looked pretty rare too.  Ah!  But it was seared Ahi Tuna.  She cut me a deal too:  give me a piece of her ahi tuna in exchange for a piece of my salmon.  Deal!

The Ahi was also tremendous, and it looks like porterhouse steak too!  I think we all know what I'll be ordering next time.

You ever notice that when you get offered the dessert menu at a restaurant they ask you "Do you want coffee?"    It'd be nice if they offered it from the beginning.  What if you'd rather have coffee than cola?   Stuff like that.

Do people who don't eat meat look at a porterhouse steak and ask "boy that looks a lot like a good Ahi Tuna!"?

Motorola is going to die a slow death... I can feel it.   If you make a good phone, like a quality solid phone, people will hang onto it well past their upgrade date.  Up to now, I know two people, and me, who have or had the DROID X2 Android phone, and so far, both people got the X2 replaced when they had the chance.  The X2 is TERRIBLE, unless you love the phone freezing on you, or the text box not entering anything after you type, or the phone making 52 phone calls in succession on its own, or the thing rebooting when you attempt to take a picture.

Nobody likes that stupid phone!  It is a joke.   My upgrade date is in a month and a half, and, you know it baby, the Galaxy S4 will be its replacement.   Besides, have you heard any buzz about any Motorola phones in the last two years?  Samsung has taken all of its thunder.  I can't even say they *stole* their thunder, because Motorola just gave it to them!

"This is the End"... I saw a sneak preview for this movie at Wonder Con in Anaheim (I blogged about this, I believe).   It looks like a really stupid movie, but it also looks like it has great potential.  I'll check it out soon!

So we have a Star Trek Movie, a much anticipated Superman movie, the "End" movie, Hangover 3, and a few other surprises.  Major improvement from the utter disappointment of last summer's movie season.

All day I kept thinking yesterday was Thursday.  Why??

Sometimes, when you're seeking for answers, the answer is "I don't know."

Skittles in popcorn... it might not be as bad as it sounds.

I think I just had an "I don't know" moment.  Time to wrap it up.  Catch you all here tomorrow!



No comments: