Sunday, June 16, 2013

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: June 17th

A few congratulations are in order for a Monday blog entry!

First, Congratulations to all the wonderful Fathers out there, especially my Dad.  He is the greatest.   Muhammad Ali always would say he is the greatest, but to my My Pop is the best.   Thanks for being there for me.

Next, congratulations to Justin Rose for winning the U.S. Open in Golf.  He finished at one over par at Merion Golf Club, a tough place to play.   It was not kind to anyone on that back nine -- not Phil Mickelson, not anyone.   It was a game of survival and Rose did a good job avoiding the "disaster hole."

Congratulations to the Boston Bruins for winning their first game of the Stanley Cup final.  Series now tied 1-1, and the Bruins look pretty confident to get a second win.  Two games forthcoming at Boston's TD Garden.

Congratulations to the San Antonio Spurs for winning Game 5 of the NBA Finals.  We'll see you guys in Game 7.  The Heat always put 108% effort in games they play after a loss, so it would be an unpenetrable fortress of win for the Heatles at Miami one would think.

...the only thing is, the way the Heat have to wait until a loss to play good basketball would really worry the Heat fan.  Doncha think so?   What's going to happen when they fall into this routine of "only playing hard when they're behind", only to put in a hard effort and shoot blanks?   Imagine if the finally "try their hardest" in a game and they get nothing from the field or the free throw line?  One would have to think the Heat would get burned someday with the way they give away games in the FREAKIN' NBA FINALS!

I think even if the Heat win, they're going to lose even more respect around the NBA.   --but I think they still might.  Game 6 is as good as a lock.   The Heat after losses are just impossible to beat.   We're going to a Game 7 folks.

When is a good time to trim your fingernails?   Usually, when it becomes really difficult to type on a keyboard, that's a great time to clip your nails.   Honestly, you ever see those women out there with the long fingernails?  Would they be able to get any typing done?   It would be impossible to type when 1/4 of your finger is a long nail.   If they even attempted to use a smartphone, forget it.  The heat sensory action would be hard to get going unless they tried it with their knuckles.

Friday morning, I was at Stan's Donuts in Westwood Village.  Long time donut shop, it's been around for decades.   Sometimes I go over there to get what they call the "Peanut Butter and Bannana," which is a donut filled with peanut butter and some sliced bananas.  Nothing complicated -- instead of the custard you put in PB.   What I hadn't realized is that they have two versions of it.  So I went to the donut lady, and she's very nice, very helpful, and I asked her for the Peanut Butter/Banana.  She asks me next "Do you want the chocolate chips?"  Well now I was confused.  I didn't know they had chocolate chips, so I looked to see if I had the right one.   I answered "sure, I'll get chocolate chips."  Then I think she asked if  I wanted the "Peanut Butter Chocolate" which is its own animal -- peanut butter and chocolate on the *inside*.   In my head I was like "no!  I wanted the Peanut Butter and the banana on the inside,"   So I said "nah, I just wanted the Peanut Butter/Banana"

She's like "So you don't want the chocolate chips?"  "Again with the chocolate chips?", I thought.  Finally she pointed at the two *variants* of Peanut Butter / Banana which are basically a regular glazed top, and either nothing else or choco chips on the *top.*   Now it made sense!  I said to go with the choco chip version, and I apologized for getting it all mixed up.  I got my donut and brought it to the office... as it turns out, the chocolate chips melted from the donut being so fresh and it got all over my hands.   It was pretty tasty, though!

Obviously, my long thesis on eating healthy only held true for about 2 days.  Bad job on my part, but in my defense, I was hungry.   Remember, though... you can actually eat anything in the world that you want, so long as it's in moderation and balanced out by other choices later in the day.

While I'm at it, I want to place a minor defense in the name of candy.  I didn't mean to imply that candy was only a vehicle for gluttonous slobs.  Not true!  Lots of people of all shapes, sizes, and ages can enjoy candy on a regular basis.  I was merely posturing some hypotheses on what could make an obese person so fat.

Golly!  I love the word "obese."  It sounds so beautiful, and elegant, and easy to say.  It rolls right of the tongue.  Unfortunate that the word describes a painfully ugly disposition.

Speaking of "ugly dispositions"... then there were the Dodgers.

It's bad enough to lose a series to Arizona... it's bad enough to lose another series on the road to Pittsburgh, who actually play really well at PNC park anyway, so looking back, it's not terrible. 

Time for quickies...

Bob Costas can make a funny about how a bad team celebrates a regular season win like its the World Series.  If it's any other team fanbase in the majors, people get a kick out of it and then shrug it off.  If it's the Mets, get ready for some serious verbal beatdown.  You've been warned Bobbo.

What Mets fans were saying is also true:   everybody goes nuts after those regular season wins now.   In other words, what's wrong with having a little fun with these games?  Baseball is dull enough as it is, spice up the works!

Now the phrase "decline of Western Civilization" is a bit much, but I thought Costas was just fooling around... The real question is, why was NBC showing Cubs/Mets highlights anyway?

I was at my parents' house this weekend for Father's Day.   My little sister has publicly spoken out against English Muffins, so yesterday I ate a bunch of them in defiance.

I still have about 1/3 of the Giant Sub I got at Vons on $5 Friday.  Do the dance!  I'll eat it for lunch this afternoon.

With all the good food we had this weekend, there were no indications of good home baked cookies.  A pity, but I feel optimistic for future cookies this month.

My Uncle's Mom makes a mean salsa.  It's so hot, and so thick, but easy to dip chips into.   Really good.   Gets your motor running and clears your sinuses.  Highly recommended.  Versatile too!  I could put the salsa into a sandwich and it'd be rock solid.

That reminds me, the bathroom is undefeated in contests vs me at my Grandmother's house for an engagement.  If I'm there for a long time with the family and there's a lot of food involved, I make at least one trip there.   I thought today I'd finally win -- I didn't eat much for a second helping and hardly had much for dessert aside from fruit.  But no!  I was back in the saddle somewhere around the 4th Quarter of the NBA game.

It's starting to heat up around these parts.  Stay cool my friends!  See you all tomorrow.


No comments: