Sunday, March 17, 2013

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: March 18th

Top of the Mornin' to Ya!  I hope you all had a good St. Patrick's Day, full of drinking and all the rest.

I posted day by day recaps of my trip to Spring Training in Arizona.  Five recaps in all!  Check 'em out as you have time later today.  The posts are just below today's "Thoughts of the Day."

I'm shocked that McDonald's got bounced from the Fast Food tournament.  I like Five Guys Burgers and Fries too, but to see it overtake McD's is flabbergasting.  I mean, wow.

Inevitably everybody gains weight after a vacation.  I am no different.  I have to get in shape.  I want to challenge my assistant swim coach to a sprinting duel.  We had a semi tentative, tongue in cheek perhaps, joking, agreement to do a race, but I'm going to broach the topic again.

Even if this doesn't pan out, the *team* planned a Coaches vs Swimmers relay duel during our Team Swim Meet, and the asst coach is in the mix.   It's actually pretty exciting.  Now to be fair, I'm not even half as fast as any of our coaches.  Bear in mind, we're talking about former intercollegiate swimmers *and* in some cases Olympians.   I would be bringing a pea shooter to a gun show.

I have to say, I'm not as crazy about St. Patrick's Day as others would be.   So what if the beer is green?  Last week it was brown, and it tasted the same.   What is the big deal?

Remember back in school where people would pinch you if you didn't wear green?  That got annoying after a while.  Listen folks, green is the color of the Boston Celtics.  If you think that on this planet I'm going to willingly wear anything that supports the Celtics well I'm afraid I'm here to disappoint you.

Sometimes I put my green jacket on just to stay safe, but even then it's an olive green.   A muted green... I can play along I suppose.

I can't wait to get back into swimming shape.  I want to get into competition again and challenge people on the street to 50 yard sprints..  It'd be fun.

Lakers!   The beat continues.  How *surprising* was that win at Indiana?  Unbelievable!  Kobe is hurt pretty hard, yeah, thanks a lot Dahntay Jones.  Get bent you dirty player.  Go stick your leg into a meat grinder, toolbag.  Dirty play has no place in the NBA.   At any rate, the Lakers still had enough to fend off the Pacers and beat the Kings.  We'll see if there's enough in the tank to beat Phoenix tonight.

I really wanted to stay in Phoenix a couple more days just so I could see that game, but it wasn't realistic.  It'd cost quite a lot more to see a Suns game in the valley of the sun.   It'd get pretty complicated, no?

Here we go!  NCAA Tournament is starting in just days.  Very exciting field this year, but impossible to predict.   I want to say Indiana wins it all this year, but they may not have the defense.  I may have to go over the brackets a few more times before I have an answer.   For now I'll stay with Indiana.  I can't even say why, but it seems to be the team I'm going with.   I really wish they'd play defense, however.  That's going to kill the team.

Hey!  Didn't I say Kansas was going to be Number 1 before the year was out?  They're (a) Number One today aren't they?  Ohh, do the dance!

All righty, that's all from here.  Have a good one, folks.  Til tomorrow.


No comments: