Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: September 17th

People think "ain't" is short for "is not."   If that was true, why is there and "a" in it?  For about 25 years I wondered this.  Then, over the weekend, while I was driving, it came to me.   "Am not" can be shortened to "ain't" too.  So "ain't" means "am not" for short.  So instead of "I am not going to that meeting," you say "I ain't going to that meeting!"

And then it all made sense!   Ain't is a proper contraction, but for "am not"  and people just got lazy and borrowed it for "is not." But ya know, I'm not the kind of fuddy duddy that would get on people for using "aint".  Ain't is fun!  It's good for emphasis or expression.

I am in utter shock that Jerry Lewis is still alive.  I honestly didn't know that.   How about that, fellas?   I apologize to Mr. Lewis for thinking he died earlier.

Funny moment from America's Got Talent's Mel B, the former Spice Girl.  She comes in from LA, where it is just bright and sunny and practically scorching, but we're getting used to it.  She lands in NY where they do the show and it is COOL and dumpy looking, and raining everywhere and she shows a pic of Manhattan on her instagram and goes "going from Sunny LA to rainy NYC!"

but how about that AGT finale last night?  Was that not spectacular?   I was so pumped at that show that I wrote a tweet praising the 6 finalists:

I mean... the #AGT finale was so good I make a genuine plea to just give ALL SIX acts 1million bucks and their own show!! That good.

The official America's Got Talent twitter retweeted that and now my twitter account *exploded.*  I am getting notifications from all over the country.  One after the other.  This is spectacular!  I'm really enjoying this.  And everyone agrees!!   If you saw the show you'd see why... it was truly impressive.

Congratulations to the Baltimore Orioles for winning the AL East division.  Enjoy your first round exit to a team with much better pitching!

A few weeks ago, when I drafted Adrian Peterson, on three fantasy teams, I thought "Finally!  A running back I won't have to worry about."  I was so excited to get him on a fantasy team at last!  

......................................................................


Peterson really seems like a despicable person.   At best he's a despicable parent.  Just terrible.   I would say this is for the best that he's getting hammered by everybody.   I will find a way to get by with the fantasy teams such as they are.

In the meanwhile, I turn to produce and look at the wonderful fruit and veggies entering stores nationwide.   Peach season is coming to an end, and as we say goodbye to peaches, we make way for Pumpkin Spice Latte season.  If Peach Season is my bag, Pumpkin Spice Latte season is Andy in Seattle's baby.   Every fall he lets us know that the Pumpkin Spice Lattes are once again in season.  I rather appreciate these announcements because like him, and some other fellas I know, Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks are the greatest.  Incredibly good!   I know we have our moments with the Gingerbread Lattes and the Salted Caramel Mocha but Pumpkin Spice has it all... flavor, texture, and context with the weather that is.

Doesn't really apply this week with it being 100 degrees in LA, but in a few weeks that latte and the crisp fall air is going to be just perfect.  I look forward to another one!  Had my first one a few days ago.

I finally and I mean FINALLY found a tall bottle of orange gatorade.  The local store refuses to sell those and only carries Lemon-Lime and Fruit Punch.   At this other grocery story in the area, a much bigger store, I went to the gatorade section and saw all three.   That's a good job by Gatorade and the nearby Ralphs.

That's all from here, enjoy your Wednesday.

No comments: