Thursday, August 8, 2013

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: August 8th

Let's say you walked down the street and you saw a Dunkin' Donuts, a Krispy Kreme, and a Yum Yum Donuts next to each other.  How would you play that?    Out here, the Yum Yum is going to win... ok maybe we go just Dunkin and Krispy Kreme.  Remember this is just in terms of donuts.

This is tough huh?   Dunkin does the donuts more traditionally, but I still would vote Krispy Kreme.  I could also do some sugar free donuts.  By that I mean, they make the donuts but DONT put the glaze on them.   You can ask for that... surprisingly good!

So yea, I go KK... but it wouldn't be an instant decision!

This is it!  The weekend is soon to be upon us.  Friday: I go to Mission Viejo for the first time but make a stop at Ham 'n Scram for the famous breakfast burrito: it's out in Westminster.  Then on to Summer Nationals where I'll cheer on my mates.

That COULD go all the way to 6pm, but it depends on if I hang around to watch all the distance heats.  I may... a bunch of our team mates are doing the 800m Free at the end of the day.  Say it does, then that gives me night time to go HAM in Newport Beach, maybe pick up some Laventina's Big Cheese Pizza in Newport Beach, watch the sunset, and then check out the local bars if there are any.  

Day #2, Saturday.   This time, my stop is at Paul's Coffee Shop in Fountain Valley.  You remember the place... it was a rollickin' good time with the enormous Chicken Fried Steak.  COULD go with that again but I might be leaning toward the big boy sausage breakfast instead.   I like the look of their waffles, but I'm worried that they won't be crispy enough to enjoy.  I love Paul's.  Cozy place, yea it's a little old, but a lot of regs, and a pretty good staff too.   I hope the Guy Fieri jinx doesn't hit them too badly.  Then, back to Mission Viejo to see if there's any other juice at Masters.  THIS time I may just see a few races, then run out to a nearby sports bar to watch.  In fact I'm told Mutt Lynch's is pretty darn good!   Worth a look.  THEN if there's time, I'll scope out the OC County Fair in nearby Costa Mesa.

That's a pretty good summary of the weekend.  Not sure if I go back to see more of the swim meet on Day #3, but it's a likely scenario.

It's always a struggle not to have my own grins/adjustmic moment, but at least today I want to keep that cheekiness to a minimum.  Nothing annoys me more than those who ham for the camera.  I'll do my part to avoid it.

When I'm walking around and a group is about to take a picture, I try to dodge the field of view.  I don't want to be in a stranger's pictures!   If I was behind them though, I'd offer to take the picture.

I now know what the mind-blown smiley was designed for!  Who knew?  Actually, I had an idea of it, but I wasn't absolutely sure until someone confirmed it yesterday.

I still remember two years ago when the Giants were rolling and I posted the status update: "Giants: Can they be stopped?"  Then they tanked.  Hahahahahahahaahahahahaha, that was a good moment for Dodger fans!


I hope the Dodgers don't tank like that.   We'll see and enjoy the remainder of the season.   As Dodger Thoughts' Jon Weisman said... if you get a good run, enjoy the meal... don't be asking for that waffle on top!

If I want waffles, Paul's in Fountain Valley can hook me up.  Have a great weekend folks!  Won't be on board for a blog entry tomorrow.

No comments: