Sunday, January 27, 2013

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: January 28th

Hidee ho!  My goodness, my Mom's recital was a smashing success, and there was no drama at all.  Boy was I wrong about that one!   It went really smoothly and the weekend was a great time.  It was the smoothest running recital ever.   It's good that we all hit our spots so well.

Onward... it's SUPER BOWL WEEK!

Who's not excited about this?

Ok, so we will have a lot to discuss about football but today we're going to tap into everything else.  First of all, what happened to my buddy Jacob "El Hebrew Hammer?"   I swear to you I am not lying, THIS is who he saw last night by choice!  And with much enthusiasm on his fb page:






Jacob, Jacob, Jacob... ohhhhhhhhhhh Jacob, Jacob, Jacob... I used to think you were different, man.  What happened to you?  Did SF hijack your personality?  Now it's one thing when a goofball joker like me gets into the group "Pentatonix", a hit on NBC's "The Sing-Off" TV show, but when my man Hammer gets into it, it makes my head spin.

For all I know, Pentatonix is a great band, but Jacob once schooled me on things like Tupac and Biggie, and all sorts of good hip hop.   He used to clown me because I liked "Oingo Boingo."  But *this?*   They make One Direction look like a hardcore metal group!  Color me shocked today, fellas.   I am shocked.  Our man Hammer is becoming a hipster before our eyes.

Maybe Jake got delirious when his beloved 49ers made the Super Bowl.  Excessive joy can make people do strange things.

I'm starting to really worry about my health.  I picked up my sister and drove her an hour from her college to our parents' house for the weekend, but she's fighting this nasty kind of flu.  And she and my mom were coughing up a storm, as they both caught it.  Now **I'm** coughing up a storm.  This is not good, folks.  Not good, not good.   This could de-rail Super Bowl week on the podcast.  I'm very worried.

I got two lottery scratchers from my parents over the weekend.  Pretty cool!  Nobody wins any real money from these things though, watch this, I'm going to use them now.

[Pause]

Nope, didn't win anything, but I came close on a couple numbers.

Can we calm down with that Lakers win yesterday?  I'm happy they won but they haven't really done anything other than get lucky and beat another good team.   I find it interesting how effective the Lakers looked when Dwight Howard was out of the picture.

I can't say much more because I was unable to watch the game yesterday, but if one thinks it's a sign of better things to come, that guy's crazy.

I would be shocked if Kansas did not get at least the #2 AP Ranking by the end of the day.  Duke lost, Syracuse lost, Kansas was already ranked #3 going in, and Michigan destroyed Illinois.   I see Michigan moving up to #1 and Kansas #2 in College Basketball.  It's been a crazy year in College B-Ball, but I like it!  A whole lot of jostling for those top five spots.

I still haven't *seen* a whole Michigan basketball game.  I know they're good, in fact, I know they're great, but I need to watch a game.  Seeing is believing.

I feel coffee deficient today, which I don't think is a good thing.  I may have to curtail this coffee addiction before it's too late.  --but it's sooooo good!

More than anything, I hope I make it to the end of the week without getting sick.  However, it might be too late.

Not much else to report: with my weekend being spent at my parents' helping them out, I didn't have much else going on.  HOWEVER, I got my electronic piano for my apartment.  I'm trying it out now.  I'm not sure whether I'll keep it for real or just return it in a week or two.   I'm having fun riffing on it right now.   To start, I sampled some backbeats from an "Easybeats" song "Friday on my Mind":

Good times that was.  I was just riffing there based on the sheet music I saw for the tune.  I also wrote out the basic melody line for "Story of a Plumber" (the Super Mario Brothers tribute song).   I guess I could post it on youtube if anyone wanted to see it.

That's all for now.  Happy Monday!


No comments: