Monday, January 7, 2013

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: January 8th

First of all, congratulations to the Alabama Crimson Tide for winning the 2013 BCS National Championship Game.  Nick Saban has completed quite a run with 3 championships in 4 years.

There's really nothing more to say about the game, the Tide won 42-14.  What can I possibly add to that?  The results speak for themselves.

It's tough to even look at a basketball when you see how much the Lakers have fallen.   It reminds me of teams like the Redskins and Clippers, and teams of their ilk many years ago.   Essentially, they're an organization that is going after attention more than winning lately.  I'm saddened by this.  I recognize that the Lakers need to keep the interest of their fans and create buzz in the city but this year above all years they were over the top.

Now the rumors start for a Dwight Howard trade *this* season.   That's hard to even fathom.   I'm all for it at this point, because he just seems like such a snake.  Howard seems like such a team killer that I would be just fine with dumping that bad seed while the Lakers have the chance.   Imagine how bad the Lakers got in only a few months of having him?  This is just 3 months of Dwight Howard.   Years of his presence on the team would quickly revert the Lakers into a circus.  Frankly we may already be there.

Truthfully, regardless of his personality, he's still hurt and the man is plain ineffective.  If D12 wants out, who are the Lakers to stop him?

Now that College Football is over, it's time to pick up College Basketball.   Wide open season.  So many teams are in the running this year.  Good teams, interesting teams.  Tons of teams.   I had no idea Duke was still this good.  Or Kansas for that matter.  UCLA is on a serious roll: they won seven straight games.

If ever a person deserved a reality TV show, it's Olympic Swimmer Ryan Lochte.  Dude is such a bonehead, but just the kind of goofy hilarious personality that TV needs.  I'm rather happy for him and wish him the best of luck with his new TV show.

Holy crap... I just got word that the Lakers are going to start Robert Sacre at Center with both Howard and Gasol out of the lineup.  ROBERT SACRE.  They call the man "Baby Joker."  I'm serious!  Here's a link to his highlight reel.

In fact the name came from Dwight Howard.  All right I gotta give D12 credit for one positive contribution... that name is a trip y'all.

AND, on Sunday while they had the Seahawks/Redskins game I flipped over to TWCSN and saw the LA D-fenders game in progress.  The D-Fenders are the Lakers' NBDL team.   First guy I noticed on there:  Sacre.  Baby Joker has a lot of heart but I laughed it off too and said "ahahahaha, I don't think any of these jokers have to worry about making the big club any time soon."

Funny how it works, isn't it?

Anyone notice how natural gas from the heater puts you to sleep?   Frequently I'd heat the house and start to get drowsy.  Ironically the noise from the heater is loud enough to keep me from sleeping if I let it run all night.  However, during the day the gas is powerful enough to put me out for a while if i let it.

Maybe NBA players need to do what musicians do, and forget trying to join real teams.  Some musicians have no chance forming an actual group i.e. "The Beatles," "Creedence Clearwater Revival," and "The Police."  Dwight Howard, as an example, is a guy who I think will never fit into any NBA roster in the league.  He's such an attention monger and a me-first guy that he barely ever makes an effort to become part of the team rather than exhort the team to become a part of him.  So!  My proposal is, forget Howard as a member of the Lakers.  Why doesn't he become a "solo artist?"   Howard can then pick up a few players from the And-1 league as backup and just tour the country as the "Dwight Howard Experience."  I feel that most star players would be much happier that way.   Solo artists can then play on their terms and the best part is, they don't have to force out any coaches or GM's.

The NBA was deprived of many such expansion franchises over the years:  The Starbury Miracles as an example.   Rodman's Rogues.   Joe Johnson and the Dreamers.   Nate Robinson's Wild Traveling Half Court Shots.  Alas.

This is a good place to end.  Enjoy your Tuesday everyone!

No comments: