Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: April 10th

Greetings, fellow Earthlings.

I have been really struggling with energy these days.   I set the alarm to get me up at 5:15 to try and get to these early morning swims, and I still can't make any of them.  The stupid part was that on Monday I was *up* early enough but then nature called.

Once you're into the bowl, there's really no going back.   You usually get no control over the timing.

Tuesday was a spot where I was awake but just couldn't get up out of bed early enough to make the swim.   Couple that with staying up a little later the night before and I was spent.

I still swam, but at night.  I had a good swim -- didn't even think I'd be that good; I was tired.  I got home about 8:30 pm, finished the Splash program and prepped some soup and a slice of leftover pizza.   I was still really tired such that I went to bed right at 10.

I wanted to get to swim this morning, but it just wasn't in the cards... I was just too tired, but I got in a full sleep this time.  Now I feel pretty good!

Let me tell you something:  Campbell's Chunky Soup is the schiz.   One flavor that really jumped out at me this month was their Chipotle Chicken Corn Chowder.  You would not even believe how good a canned soup can be until you try it.   Major fan.

I got into a major craving for Chicken Fried Steak, suddenly.  You wouldn't believe it.  It all started when I imagined a trip to Anaheim on Monday night.  I considered taking Tuesday off to travel down to Anaheim for the day.   Near there is Fountain Valley, the home of Paul's Coffee Shop.  I saw a feature on it on Food Network last year.  One of their most popular items is the Chicken Fried Steak:



Now doesn't that look scrumptious?!   Then, I cancelled the trip idea, but you know what?  I am not giving up on this gameplan.   Well, now I'm in a big mood to eat Chicken Fried Steak.  I looked up Chicken Fried Steak restaurants all over Los Angeles.  None of them really caught my eye except for a place called Millie's in Silver Lake..   Silver Lake is out there... it's not *far*, but it's just a mess with all sorts of weird windy roads on the East Side.

So I gave it some more thought... how about a trip to Anaheim on Saturday?   Check out Paul's, get the chicken fried steak, maybe a few hours at Downtown Disney, and the Angels game at night.  It's a thought, but in either case, I'll have a good shot at the Chicken Fried steak.

Stay tuned...

When I was young, I couldn't decide whether Chicken Fried Steak was a chicken or a steak.   Do you know what I mean?  The literal term "steak" is a "cut of meat."  The meat isn't always beef... sometimes its other meats like fish.   So, one day I was with family and I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak.  I had the mental mindset that I was going to get a chicken filet battered and fried.  What a surprise when I bit into steak!

It's really unfortunate that all my cravings are for unhealthy foods... pizza, porterhouse, prime rib, chicken fried steak.  Why can't I have cravings for celery sticks or something?

I felt like going to the Clippers game tonight... one of my unusual dreams is going to the Staples Center club level buffet.  It's right there on one end of the building, but you need premier level seats to get to the buffet.  It looks really good... you're allowed to walk through it on the way to other seats so sometimes I'd go over to each of the stations to see what's out there.  Tremendous, bros.

The basic problem is getting premier level seats that are cheap enough to not put a hole in your wallet.   Now that the Clippers are good, it's nearly impossible to find any premier tickets under 20 bones.   Back in the day, you could get in for ten bucks if you were really lucky.  It was great!   I didn't even mention the Kings and Lakers games -- it's exceedingly rare to get cheap luxury seats for those games.

I think that's all for now.  Enjoy your hump day!

No comments: