Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: October 16th

So it came to me... there are a bunch of things you can do during World Series games... check it out.

  • Go to Lawry's the Prime Rib -- pick up a Diamond Jim Brady cut and challenge yourself to eat it.
  • See a movie
  • Swim a good masters workout
  • Drive along the coast
  • Check out Third Street Promenade
  • Read a book, maybe's Herd's new book, "You Herd Me"
  • *Perhaps* sample the O&A show on Sirius XM just to see what all the hype is about
  • Replay some classic NFL games
  • Watch a few old TV shows
  • Catch up on episodes of "The Big Bang Theory"
  • Reminisce about good memories in the past
  • Bake a casserole... I baked a semi pre-made casserole last night!  Tortilla Chicken Casserole.  Excellent.
  • Listen to music, new albums and lots and lots of music.
  • Run up hill, then downhill
  • Take a bike ride to Malibu
  • Play some video games
  • Attempt to streak a high school football game -- I wouldn't actually do this, hahahahahahaha
  • Shop for furniture
  • Try a few video conversations on skype
  • Check out a comedy club and sample some new talent
  • Attempt some airplane flying lessons
  • Build a kite
  • Get a new battery for your laptop
  • Work on your NFL or College Pick'em
  • Negotiate a trade with Tommy in your fantasy league
  • Make popcorn
  • Go on a date
  • Get some pizza
  • Make a sandwich
  • Cook bacon
  • Drive around the block if the coastal drive is not looking good or if it's dark outside
  • Pay bills
  • Sweep the floor
  • Vacuum the carpet
  • Make the bed
  • Do laundry
  • Go through old episodes of "Olbermann" and then compare them to the fill-in episodes Colin Cowherd will be hosting.
  • Fill out an application to apply for a production assistant job at ESPN
  • Attempt to craft some candied apples
  • Microbrew your own beer
  • Or forget the microbrew, go to Tony P's to get one of their many brews on tap
  • Check out the opera
  • See about going to a show from the America's Got Talent Tour, rolling nationwide.
  • Talk to your buddies on the internet
  • Blog a little
  • Try some different bus routes around town just to see where they go.
  • Practice piano
  • Find some used clothes at the thrift store
  • Get the famous fries at Skooby's in Hollywood
There's always something to do out there.   Lots of ideas.



Hasn't been much else on my mind this week, although swimming is coming along great!  I felt really good on the Monday swim and tried a 25 meter sprint from a push, butterfly no less.  I canned that in 24 seconds!  That's as fast as I can remember swimming 25 meters short course.   Less than 30 now!  I was pumped.

I have to be careful about what I eat for two reasons... I don't want to drag myself down and mess up my rhythm in the pool and secondly well, when you swim a meet you're pretty naked out there, and I don't want to let down the ladies.

I wonder if the Clippers will win an NBA championship someday.  The Clippers of today are as close as they've ever been to winning it all.   I'd actually be pulling for them in an NBA finals.... that'd be pretty cool.  To see the Clips finally get it done and the surprise of everyone in LA seeing it happen.   I can't even imagine how this town would react.  You thought the Kings winning was surreal, a Clippers championship is simply unheard up.

Hell, the Clippers winning more games than they lose in a year is unheard of.  These are good days indeed for the Clippers.

Health is actually a very big factor in a championship run.   If even one or two guys who matter to your club are compromised in health, it severely limits the ability to play as well as you can.   Many years you can't everyone in their prime and healthy at the same time.  So when the championship comes, cherish it, and relish it!   It's especially hard in baseball.  I have mad props to any team that makes it all the way to the top.

Even the *Giants* deserved some mad props when they got over the hump in 2010.  When they won was I mad?  Maybe a little, but I was more happy for my many friends, numerous colleagues who were long loyal suffering fans of the Giants, and dealt with so much heartbreak.  I can sympathize with that.   I was more happy for my buddies than upset that the Giants cut into the Dodger legacy... after all, it's just sports.

Seeing the way the Giants won the title was actually very very cool.  Those guys were fun to watch, no lie.  A tad bit of an underdog, especially against the Phillies, but a very colorful bunch.

At any rate... time to check out that laundry list and see all the fun things there are out there.  Good football forthcoming too, and I *did* have the casserole last night, it was delicious!

Talk to you all again on Thursday.  Til then...

No comments: