Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: September 4th

I'm short on time today so I'll knock these thoughts out in a few minutes.

First of all, Dave's (bang!)  LOCK (clang) of the Week... all week I've pegged the Broncos to win their Thursday night opener by ten points, and at Broncos -7.5 at home, it'll be a toughy but that's a touchdown and a field goal.  It's extremely hard to trust NFL point spreads, but I'll still take Denver and give the -7.5.

Check out this sleeper pick:  I like San Jose State at Stanford getting +26.5.   David Fales is said to be a REALLY good quarterback.  He's been hyped to be picked as high as maybe top 5 overall in the NFL Draft.  Stanford is a physical team no doubt, and a pretty good defensive team, but with the early season jitters in effect and Stanford's first game at all this season, I think San Jo State will at least hang for a quarter or two.  26.5 seems like too much.  Usually when Stanford wins, they lock down their opponent or pound them into submission, but I don't know if Stanford is going to be ready to defend an NFL caliber QB like Fales... but to be fair I have yet to actually see him play.

Taking this a step further, if this game is on Pac 12 network, I'm going to force myself to a sports bar to go see it.  I want to see this Fales kid *play!*  but yes, SJSU +26.5

I also have Washington State at SC +15.   Never trust the Trojans in the Kiffin era, period.   It feels like almost every time you see a point spread go up, SC gives about 5-10 points too many.  I saw how gutty WSU was at Auburn, a tough play to play anyway, and I could see a similar dogfight here at the Coliseum.   Cougs. +15

We'll keep it with three picks this week.   I would see Florida and Georgia winning their respective games and both have only about a 3 point spread.

Now then!  AGT last night... boy that show surprised me!  Pleasantly so.   I thought it was going to be awful.  but, instead, it was even better than the show a week ago!  How would you even select six of those twelve to advance?   I wouldn't know.   To me the results show is about four acts:

Chicago Boyz and Kenichi:  these two blew the roof off!  They HAVE TO advance.

Marty Brown and Military Wives Choir:  underwhelming.  They HAVE TO get eliminated.

Anyone else could be beat out by any other act, so I wouldn't be that upset with any outcome beyond the above four.  Here's to a good results show tonight!

I swam, as it turns out three days in a row this week.  Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.  Felt pretty good out there for the most part, although Tuesday was rough with the water temperature way too high.  Folks, it's not a hot tub, we gotta get that temperature down to like mid to upper 70s.

Ah, the sound of faculty and students!  Coming onto campus like a cavalry, ready to bug me.   Man the fortress!   We'll be back at it tomorrow.  Have a great Wednesday.

2 comments:

Dave in the City said...

Meant to say Miami would win its respective game. Oops!

Dave in the City said...

Meant to say Miami would win its respective game. Oops!