Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: November 21st


Where does all the time go?

It seemed like it was just a few weeks ago we ushered in 2012.  Now we're about to usher it out.

The last two months of the year are my favorite time of the year.  I'm honestly very worried that we may not see 2013.   Some Mayan Prophecy... Yes, I'm a moron who believes it.  

I heard the news about the Gaza Strip in Israel and started to really worry.   I can only imagine what people felt like in the 80's with constant threats of Nuclear War.   These recent developments seem to suggest a similar outcome if it goes awry.  

I started spending much more than usual this year in anticipation of a possible end of world scenario.  I didn't want to leave it to chance... I did more than I usually did.  I traveled to NYC, Vegas, and SF without really worrying about the financial implications.   The prospect of Armageddon made me really think about not putting things off: so I didn't.  As they say, you only live once.

Ever hear the adage that the scent of something sticks with your memory more than anything else?   You ever come into contact with a girl?  Like, a really pretty girl.   It's hard to not mistake her wonderful smell.   I live for these moments.

I know, I'm supposed to write about Pilgrims and ships and giant horns made of twigs and things, but it's not for me.  I've done it in other years, but this year, I'm just ready to eat.  Turkey time, and all the fixings.

I considered a different strategy this year as opposed to past years:  Instead of eating the dozen other entrees my Mom and Grandma make, I'd like to focus strictly on the basics.  I would go Turkey, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, and salad.   No other items... no crab, or jambalaya, or chicken thighs, or chili.  Just turkey and sides.   Makes me wonder how much of the turkey I could actually eat! I look forward to it.

By the way, I've always been intrigued at restaurants that serve turkey dinners.  Would they do a better job with the turkey than my Grandparents do?  Usually it's my Grandparents who cook the turkey, and they do a tremendous job of it too.   It does seem like some restaurants do the Turkey dinner but they are very expensive.  With all of the side dishes involved, I can understand that.   I'm eager to see if any of my friends have tried it.

One other thing I want to do lately is go to a food shelter and feed the homeless around this time of year.  My Dad does this almost every week and I'm so proud of him.   On the flip side, it makes me feel like a douche for carousing with football games and vegas trips while he gets other friends and family together to help his community.  

Here's something extremely difficult: Anniversary presents.   My parents have their wedding anniversary coming up, and I believe it's on Friday during the Thanksgiving Weekend.  Anyway, how do you get a present for two people who don't like the same things?   You have to get one present that your Mom and your Dad will like equally.  Now that's hard.

Turkey Football tomorrow... I gotta tell ya, I'm not into it!  The Redskins/Cowboys games are so overrated.  I know, all of them are close, but they're usually not well played games.  Turnovers abound, lousy work in the Red Zone, it's not good football.   I'm not prepared to see the Cowboys play a good complete game at home.  They haven't done this in the entire four seasons they've been at Cowboy Stadium.  The Cowboys have been AWFUL in their new stadium.   Pats/Jets should be interesting though.

That's all I have for now.  Gobble countdown is down to ONE DAY.  I'm excited everyone.  Enjoy your Thanksgiving!



No comments: