Thursday, November 29, 2012

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: November 29th

Over the years, I've come to find December my best month.  I think it's because almost everything winds down by then.  Once we hit the Holiday Season, it's as if the whole world takes a break, at least here at UCLA.  I love it!

The "break" really is a big boost and I cherish it every year.  I also love when I get to spend extended time with my wonderful family... my parents and sisters, and then my aunts and uncles.  Yes, I'm spending time with them all year but at Christmas-time we're all in the same place at once.  Good times.

The National Media has put such a big beating on the Lakers this week.  It's humorous.  I mean it is SO early and the Lakers aren't even at full strength... no question, this team has a lot of holes, but it is not *as* bad as the "experts" make it out to be.  In fact, I'm gonna call it right here: the Lakers are beating Denver on Friday.   That's right, they're going to win, and they're going to win by at least ten points.

Christmas shopping, oh baby I am way behind.   I have about 3 weeks to go and  roughly 15 presents to shop for.  It won't be easy, my friends.

That reminds me: I got my Dad a DVD set on three occasions and all three of them are still sitting in his house in shrinkwrap.  I mean are you serious?  Haha, my goodness I should consider getting him something he'll use, like a gift card.   That's what I intend to do.

In the history of time, the only DVD I ever got my Dad that he used was the film "My Cousin Vinny." That's easily his favorite comedy film.   I've never seen him laugh so hard at anything!

I was reading up on music and I read that the Beatles recorded their entire first album "Please Please Me" in one shot.   It was as if they were doing a live set and they recorded ten songs in one day over nine hours.  Four other songs were on two singles that were already released.  Can you even imagine that?   The Beatles of 1968 would never have stood for that either.

49ers Coach Jim Harbaugh chose Colin Kaepernick over Alex Smith for this week's game and most likely for the forseeable future.   I can't say enough about how great a choice this is.  So many coaches would be too scared for their job security and for Smith's feelings to make this choice.   You know that Wade Philips would have bumbled this decision and I would even say many other coaches would have made the safe choice and picked Alex Smith.    Harbaugh, on the other hand, doesn't play to convention or politics.  He plays to WIN.   My hope is that the Niners are richly rewarded for this heady decision.  To me, it makes sense!

I've been watching Kapernick even going back to the Jets game where he had one or two snaps.  This kid has a great arm, AND he can work well outside the pocket.  Kaep has tremendous upside.  I wish him well.

I *love* that there's a Billy Joel category on SongPop.   Every single song in the category is a Billy Joel song!   Having listened to, and owning, all of his studio albums but one (The Bridge), once I get an idea which passages are used, I feel really confident about beating everyone when I play the Billy Joel Songpop playlist.

Billy Joel is probably the only artist where I have almost every studio album he ever did, most of them on Vinyl, even Cold Spring Harbor (original issue), although I have that just as a novelty... it's not terribly listenable sound quality.

Souplantation tonight... which means two trips to souplantation in a week.  Very rare, my friends.

Cannot wait for the SEC Championship game.  I'll talk about it more tomorrow but the more I think about it, the more I see Georgia with a shot to win.    Aaron Murray is a fool but if he somehow keeps his head on straight, he's got a great arm and could give 'Bama some real problems.   I think it will at least be a close game.  

The most surprising part of all is that the SEC Title game doesn't start at 8pm Eastern.  I'd have thought that the SEC and/or CBS would have lobbied for that privilege by now but apparently not.

In any case, it's going to be sweet!   That's all for now.  Catch you on the flip side.  Season's Greetings!

No comments: