Monday, October 22, 2012

Dave's Thoughts of the Day: October 22nd


Good morning fellow readers!

As promised on Facebook, here's a look at the newest member of the Dave Office Stereo System: the NHT SuperOne XU series speakers.   Can you believe I found this for just $10 at Goodwill?  It normally goes for around 200 bucks.



Just to make sure they weren't busted, I tested them out at home and everything sounds great.   Next, I have to determine what to use as a CD player.   It turns out I have this 5 disc DVD/CD/SACD carousel collecting dust at home.   Possible candidate but we'll see.  I want to use something simpler.  Here's the stereo system as it stands at the moment:


First of all, yes, I know, ha ha, I have a lot of Mac Stuff.  Those are former Faculty machines, and our faculty persons love Apple products.  The speakers are a little big, but they do sound tremendous.   I may have to clean out the pots (aka potiemeters) so that it doesn't cut out the sound or make turning up the volume scratchy.   The tuner wheel needs some WD40.  Little things like that will be in the making when I have the time.  This is the most fun I've had in months.   For now, I have a little RCA to 1/8" wire to connect to a laptop.  I'd like to try running Spotify or Pandora through this system.

As a result of this ongoing project, my attention to sports has been more diminished than usual.  I did however pay a good amount of attention to College Football this weekend.  It's as simple as this:  the Big Ten doesn't belong in the FBS.  If Ohio State can't put away a miserable team like Purdue *at home*,  there's really no hope for this conference.   Alabama looks tremendous, as usual.  SCAR got schooled by Florida.  Yet, the jury is still out on the Gators.   Most of their points came off turnovers and their total overall offense was only about 200 yards.  Not very impressive.

NFL wise, I have to be honest, not much impressed me this weekend.  Houston was pretty good against the imploding Baltimore Ravens.  The Giants and Redskins had a good game, in fact, a fun game, but the Giants once again were outplayed for most of the game and yet let takeaways and one big break to Victor Cruz award them a win.   Robert Griffin III is awesome.  Did you see him allude Jason Pierre-Paul to make a completion for first down with only minutes to go?  This gives me a feeling that Giants/Redskins games could be really good games to watch down the road.  

I don't know what to make of Jets/NE.  No idea.   In fact, there are many people out there who know more than I do about either the Jets or Patriots.  I'll leave it to them to explain what happened.   How did the Patriots come that close to losing?  

Steelers:  they're still not that good.   The Bungles gave them the game.  When pudgy Jonathan Dwyer runs all over the field it shows that Cincinnati missed something.  They missed a lot of things... play calls, replay challenges, coverages, SOMEONE to cover the middle of a running play.  I likewise don't know where all the love for Andy Dalton comes from.  I see him play... he's all right, but it's not like I'm going to give up draft picks for him.  Good, not great.

Speaking of "Dwyer," anyone remember that former Rams player Fred Dryer?   I couldn't tell you what he did in the NFL, but on TV he was the MAN...  HUNTER.   Good show...more than a little violent, in an era before violent shows like CSI were commonplace.   He could have been a good ref too, he was so good with those coin flips.

One last thing on the Bungles, on Herd's show (The Herd with Colin Cowherd), they reported that Vegas ranked the Bungles as the 6th best NFL team.  I'm sorry, but I don't know how many statistical categories you use, this team sucks.   I would welcome any rebuttals to the contrary.   As of now, they look like a sloppy, defensively decent, but otherwise pedestrian NFL team.  That's not a "6th best in the NFL" team to me.  If they're 6th, then the Cardinals should be 5th, and I think we all know the book on them.

That's all I have.  No food updates.  No ice cream updates.   Catch you all tomorrow!



No comments: