Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Apology to Johnny Carson

I have an apology to make.  You know what?  Johnny Carson was a tremendous entertainer.  Sure he stole concepts and maybe he had an ego, but I tend to think moreover that he was a private person as opposed to any ego issues.

The more I read about him, the more I concluded he was just particularly shy, which explains his cutting back of episodes, this ownership of the show, his absence from parties, his lack of small talk with guests off the air, etc.

This weekend I sampled a lot of clips from the old Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.  What worked so well with him is that he could take even miserable writing and ideas and make something out of them.  You'd think they'd run out of ideas for "Carnac the Magnificent" after two months, but the ad libbing between he and Ed McMahon kept the idea going for decades.

Bless you, Johnny.  My apologies.  Rest in peace.

--Dave

No comments: