Friday, September 7, 2012

There Will Be No Boney Mountain for Dave in the City

With regret, I announce that the Boney Mountain trip has been postponed and for the most part cancelled on my end.   My pop called a few moments ago to say he postponed to Sunday but I've got a date on Sunday -- it's known as the NFL with myself and some friends (including the Drew Dawg).   While disappointing, I couldn't ditch the NFL on Opening Weekend. 

Blast!  Some other thoughts that I had just now...

I am rather amused at how little respect most of the media, including ESPN and my friend John in CT's Football Pick'em Podcast , gave the 49ers this week.  Almost zero.  Expert after expert discounted the 49ers big season and said they were "due" to take a step back.  Almost as if it is a foregone conclusion that the Niners will revert to their 7-9 ways.   I think it's a tad unfair to go that far about the 49ers.  Most Niner fans I know feel similarly that the 49ers won't have *as* good a regular season record but that doesn't mean they're not going to be as good a team as they were a year ago.  If anything, the improved experience and improved wide receivers, AND running backs indicate they might be a better team.   Adding Mario Manningham, Brandon Jacobs, and even Randy Moss all add a new dimension for SF that could prove to be a big win for the team.  It doesn't mean it happens, but to assume they will roll over and let a Green Bay team with questionable defense run amok is a little unfair to the 49ers.  The 49ers defense is pretty good, and their pass rush is impressive.  This has been the case for nearly five years now.  I like the 49ers to give a good effort at Green Bay.  Lastly, I'll be more than happy to eat my words if the Niners finish below .500.  I agree that the 49ers feasted off a LOT of takeaways last season, but what I think happens is that they will be in every game this season.  If they lose, they won't lose by a lot.

I am making it a mission to visit El Taurino Restaurant on Hoover at about Olympic Blvd this weekend.  I cannot resist those tacos and that red sauce. 

There are my appended thoughts of the day.  Have a good weekend!

No comments: