Thursday, September 6, 2012

College Football LOCKS of the Week: Week 2

Time for our College predictions on

Dave's (blam!)
LOCKS (bang)
of the Week (boom!)

Here's what stands out to me in College Week 2.  Last week I went 1-2, not impressive.  Here's what I have for the weekend:

First of all, how about we get into the most predictable outcome of the weekend?   There is NO way Nebraska will win by less than 5 points at the Rose Bowl vs UCLA this weekend.  To think they are a mere (-5) point favorite is quite amusing.  Even accounting for it being a road game, UCLA is flat out miserable.   The only problem is, gamblers saw them beat up Rice and will have a false confidence in the Bruins.  Don't buy it!   Nebraska will destroy the Bruins this weekend.  I grant you: I haven't seen a whole lot of Nebraska in the last 13 months but I know plenty about UCLA and there's not much there.  By the way, UCLA beat Rice by letting their Running Backs fly all over the field.  Bruin passing was quite mediocre by comparison (21 of 28 for 202 yards and two touchdowns -- decent completion percentage but only 200 yards?).  Nebraska's run defense will be much better.  

I got burned last week by counting on LSU to cover a 40+ point spread.  This week, I'll try it again and select LSU to beat Washington by over (-23.5).  Washington was having major problems trying to score, and being on the road will not help.  It's going to be a few more weeks until the Huskies work out their offense.  Worse yet, they could not put away SDSU, and worse still was that RB Jesse Collier will miss the rest of the season due to a busted ACL.

Lastly, I'm picking Clemson to annihilate Ball State and cover (-27).  Easy play to call, with Ball State practically playing as a minor league team, relatively speaking.  I LOVE Clemson's offense, without WR Sammy Watkins for one more game, and this could prove to be fun to watch.  RB Andre Ellington, by the way, was terrific last week against Auburn, and  Taj Boyd can make good decisions at QB.  Clemson all the way.

For the moment... those are my LOCKS of the Week.

No comments: